10th Borneo Bird Festival 2018 – What Can You Expect
|The very unique RDC steel canopy walk is one of the areas for the bird festival|
Borneo Bird Festival 2018 Highlights
|Bird watching at RDC, Sepilok|
Many birds have been trapped and hunted to be sold in the black markets, and some of these birds are poached and hunted for their natural beaks, like in the hornbills.
Photographing the animals and birds is also one of the growing hobbies by locals and also many foreigners who come here to experience Sabah’s beautiful wildlife.
|The official banner for the 10th Borneo Bird Festival 2018|
Activities At The Borneo Bird Festival
|A talk going on inside the air-conditioned hall at RDC|
Talks – Without fail, there will be a number of talks by local and international speakers in regards to bird watching, migrations, conservations and techniques. A number of NGOs will also give talks on conservation and ecotourism.
|Some of the bird watching equipment on display at the festival|
|At the start of the Borneo Bird Run|
Guided Nature Walks – Special timed nature walks by volunteer guides will take place on both days where it is free. Interested parties need to just sign up for the guided walks around the RDC.
|The scene at the Borneo Bird Festival at RDC, Sepilok|
Who Should Go To The Borneo Bird Festival?
Personally, I easily recommend attending this, namely because it is in Sandakan, on the east coast of Sabah Borneo.
|The open aired restaurant at the RDC in Sepilok|
Sandakan is also known as the nature city of Sabah Borneo, where there is abundance of nature to be discovered.
|Bird watchers in full attire for the event|
What to Bring to the Borneo Bird Festival?
- Mosquito or insect repellent
- Poncho, raincoat or umbrella in case it rains as the walkways are not covered
- Bottled water and snacks
- A pair of binoculars are worth bringing if you want to see birds
- Proper trekking or sports shoes here as some of the walkways can be slippery
|The Bornean Bristlehead look out point at the RDC|
- RM 7.00 : Adults
- RM 3.00 : Children 5-17 years old
- Free: Children below 5 years old
- RM 15.00 : Adults
- RM 7.00 : Children 5-17 years old
- Free : Children below 5 years old
Opening Hours for the RDC:
- Daily 8.00 am to 5.00 pm (Daily)
- Birders start as early as 6.00 am at the car park area
|A list of birds of Borneo|
|A couple of Pied Hornbills spotted at the RDC|
How To Go To RDC In Sepilok?
Driving Directions To RDC
- Drive along Jalan Labuk from Sandakan Town
- Turn left at the Mile 14 roundabout (with a large Orangutan statue)
- Drive along until you see the large, pictorial RDC sign and turn right
- Drive for about 500m to the RDC car park
|The Kabili-Sepilok rainforest has been recognized as an Important Bird Area or IBA|
|The Sandakan Borneo Bird Club (SBBC) home at RDC|
|The incredible team of organizers and bird marshall’s for the Borneo Bird Festival|
But on my first event trip to Sandakan to witness the second Borneo Bird Festival in 2010, I was taken aback with the overall organization done by the local bird club called Sandakan Borneo Bird Club.
- ^ steel canopy walk (blog.malaysia-asia.my)
- ^ Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Center (blog.malaysia-asia.my)
- ^ Sepilok Nature Resort (blog.malaysia-asia.my)
- ^ Rainforest Discovery Center Sepilok (www.forest.sabah.gov.my)
- ^ Rainforest Discovery Center (blog.malaysia-asia.my)
- ^ Borneo Bird Festival in 2010 (blog.malaysia-asia.my)