India’s 5 Best Road Trips for a Perfect Vacation
Road trips are the best! How? Well, unlike the other journeys, road trip gives you a freedom to stop at any location to capture some amazing photographs or just to adore the scenic beauty. But for that, you have to be specific when it comes to planning a road journey in India. Being one of the world’s top travel destinations, India has a long list of road trips for travellers. And while a lot of you are searching for those amazing road trips, let’s make it easier by offering you a handpicked list of top 5 amazing road trips in India which can be done with both family and friends. So, keep scrolling and reading the blog to get an insight into these travel routes.
Mumbai to Goa – Welcome to a Different World
Well, this is one such drive that takes you from one surreal land to another. I mean who does not want to explore the two beautiful coastal beauties of India – Mumbai and Goa? It doesn’t matter if you are a Mumbaikar or not, if you are an avid traveller and are fond of car road trips then you ought to take this route to experience something amazing. Perhaps, your destination is what makes you so excited about this trip but this entire journey is something you should be looking forward to. Driving on National Highway 17, the picturesque route of Mumbai to Goa is filled with numerous enthralling sights and several food joints to satiate your hunger.
- Approximate distance: 587 km
- Estimated Driving Time: 10 hours
- Pit Stop: Some 258 km from Mumbai, Chiplun is a perfect place to halt on your journey for some time and take a sightseeing tour of the place. You can choose to spend some time at Parshuram Temple which boasts great artwork of Hindu and Muslim architecture.
Chennai to Munnar – From Haven to Heaven
From the chaos of Chennai to subtle and sedating Munnar, this South India road trip is a perfect weekend haven for all the travellers. And if you want to get pampered by the love of the mother nature on your weekend then this indeed is a voyage where you should be on. While in Munnar, you can surely have an impeccable holiday time by either exploring the pristine beauty or by experiencing the adrenaline of adventure activities like trekking, mountain biking, rock climbing, and even paragliding. Passing through some of the most beautiful cities of Tamil Nadu – Trichy, Dindigul and Udumalai, this Chennai to Munnar journey via National Highway 45 and 209 is filled with the beautiful sights of paddy fields, coconut trees, temples, and more.
- Approximate Distance: 583 km
- Estimated Driving Time: 10 Hours
- Pit Stop: Villupuram, Trichy and Dindigul are the pit stops on this road trip where you can fill up your fuel tank and take some rest. Also, you can explore the magnificent temples, beaches, architecture, and more at these enticing places.
Jaipur to Ranthambore – Teleport Yourself from Citylife to Wildlife
What if I asked you, how would it feel if you are teleported from the royal city life to directly into the habitat of some fierce predators (like Tiger, leopards, and wild boar) and that too within few hours? Sounds fun? Well, obviously it is! Taking you straight from the historical and royal city of Jaipur to the mesmerizing Ranthambore National Park, this Jaipur to Ranthambore drive proffers a lot of new experiences to savour. Be it the stupendous colonial architectures, royal treatment or a wildlife safari tour, you have got plenty of options on this scenic road trip in India. The best time of the day to start this road trip is morning; by driving through NH 21 NH 248, NH 52, NH 23, SH 24, and SH 1, you will reach Ranthambore National Park – one of the popular tiger reserves in India. This entire journey passes through various small villages, Bassi being one of them.
- Approximate Distance: 155 km
- Estimated Driving Time: 4 Hours
- Pit Stop: Since this Jaipur to Ranthambore is a short drive, you can also choose not to take a halt on your expedition. However, Bassi serves as the major pit stop in this journey. Here you also have the option to explore the Bassi wildlife sanctuary which is also no less when it comes to an amazing wildlife experience.
Delhi to Jaipur via Agra – The Golden Triangle Tour For Those Golden Memories
Probably, the most popular and the best travel route in North India also esteemed as The Golden Triangle, Delhi to Jaipur via Agra indeed offers an enthralling experience to relish in just a single trip. From exploring the attractions of Delhi to posing in front of Taj Mahal to adoring the resplendent architectures of the Pink City, Jaipur, the experience of travelling from Delhi to Jaipur via Agra is a sure heart-winner. Taking the Yamuna Express and National Highway 509 from Delhi to complete your first leg of the journey to Agra. Well, it’s obvious while in Agra, exploring Taj Mahal would be on the top of your to-do list. But, I personally recommend adding one more thing in your list – trying the different styles of pethas (native sweet) for which the city of Agra is very much famous.
From Agra, Jaipur is just 4-5 hours away. However, you can a devote a whole day to explore Agra and then proceed further to Jaipur on the next day. ‘The Pink City’ Jaipur is the prime travel destination in Rajasthan that houses some of the finest palaces and forts of India. Amber Fort, Jal Mahal, Hawa Mahal, City Palace, and Nahargarh Fort are just few names in the long list of renowned historical architectures in Jaipur for you to see.
- Delhi to Agra is 218 km
- Agra to Jaipur is 238 km
Estimated Driving Time:
- Delhi to Agra: 4 Hours
- Agra to Jaipur: 5 Hours
- En route Delhi to Agra, there lies numbers of restaurants where you can take some rest and also fill your stomach. Also, just 58 km before Agra, Mathura also serves as a major pit stop in this journey where you can visit various temples and other attractions.
- Similarly, while travelling from Agra to Jaipur, you can find numerous dhabas and restaurants all along the route that could be perfect pit stops.
Ahmedabad to Kutch – An Unbeatable Road Trip to an Eccentric Place
Certainly, a not-to-miss road trip if you are travelling in Gujarat! The wide expanse of white desert that makes Kutch a dream destination for every traveller is perfectly blended with the rich local culture and colourful lifestyle of the people of nearby villages. And when you choose to be on this road trip, you gift yourself a unique experience of all these.
From Ahmedabad, by taking National Highway 947, National Highway 27, and National Highway 341, you will reach Kutch. En route Kutch from Ahmedabad, you will also have once in a lifetime opportunity of exploring Dholavira – an archaeological site and a Harappan city that houses the ruins of Indus Valley Civilization. Apart from this, Bhuj is also a prominent tourist attraction in Gujarat where you can have a stay if you want to continue your journey on the next day.
- Approximate Distance: 400 km
- Estimated Driving Time: 7 Hours
- Pit Stops: Dhrangadhra and Bhuj serve as the perfect pit stops on this long drive in Gujarat.
There are numerous road journeys in India where can indulge in, but amongst all the above five stand out. However, there is one more road excursion that definitely deserves to be in this list. So, here I am presenting a surprise entrance of the sixth road trip in India in this blog.
Manali to Leh – An Escapade to Remember Forever
Perhaps, you can prefer travel by a car on this adventurous road trip in India, but, it is better if you make a bike trip here. Avid bikers and travellers from far and wide come to indulge in this expedition that makes it one of the best bike road trips in India. At the height of more than 4500 m above the sea level, this road journey cuts through two passes, resplendent snow-capped mountains and gorgeous valleys. However, a point to note here is this venturesome travel route remains open only from June till September.
While driving on the rugged terrains, you will come across the virgin views of the nature that will make your journey even more breathtaking. Besides, it is important to know that this entire voyage needs at least 2 days (one side) to complete, and hence, it is advisable to plan your road trip to Leh Ladakh from Manali accordingly. Moreover, the route to this journey passes through Manali, Rohtang, Keylong, Baralacha, Sarchu, Nakee La, Tanglang Ya, Upshi, Karu and finally to Leh via Manali Leh Highway.
- Approximate Distance: 472 km
- Estimated Riding Time: 14 Hours
- Pit Stops: Throughout the journey to Ladakh from Manali, there are numerous pit stops including Keylong, Jispa, Darcha, Sarchu, and Pang. Here you can take some rest to get over from your jetlag. You can also choose camp at these destinations.
So, this was my handpicked list of top 5 incredible road trips in India. Hope you have liked it and, if so, then don’t forget to give your precious feedback, in our comment section down below.
- ^ Posts by Jatin (www.tourmyindia.com)
- ^ Chennai (www.tourmyindia.com)
- ^ Munnar (www.tourmyindia.com)
- ^ Ranthambore National Park (www.tourmyindia.com)
- ^ attractions of Delhi (www.tourmyindia.com)
- ^ Jaipur (www.tourmyindia.com)
- ^ Gujarat (www.tourmyindia.com)
- ^ Ahmedabad (www.tourmyindia.com)
- ^ Kutch (www.tourmyindia.com)
- ^ Ladakh (www.tourmyindia.com)
- ^ blogs (www.tourmyindia.com)
- ^ website (www.tourmyindia.com)