Formerly known as Coronation Park, D.R. Seenivasagam Recreational Park got its name from a famous lawyer named D.R. Seenivasagam who was a prominent leader of the People’s Progressive Party (Malaysia) (PPP) which before 1959 was known as Perak Progressive Party. He founded the PPP along with his brother with the party’s stronghold being in Perak where it received a lot of support, especially from the ethnic Chinese voters. The park was opened in the early 1950s and originally named Coronation Park in commemoration of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II which took place in 1953. It is located in the heart of Ipoh (New Town) and is famous for its scenic beauty and recreational facilities. It comprises recreational fields, an artificial lake filled with fish, a nursery for potted plants and a children’s traffic playground. The latest addition is the newly landscaped Japanese garden featuring a Japanese carp pond. The Japanese Garden which was officially opened in 1995 and designed with assistance from Fukuoka City Hall. Fukuoka was declared as Ipoh’s ‘sister city’ in 1989. Given the differences in climate and natural vegetation between Ipoh and Fukuoka, it is not a perfect copy of a Japanese garden. In addition, the park’s Kinta Riverfront Walk has a couple of pedestrian bridges span the river including this mini Golden Gate, known as Love Bridge which was opened on Valentine’s Day 2013.