Walking Around the Royal Town of Klang

Klang is the royal town of Selangor named after the Klang River, which cuts the town in half, and sits at the western end of the Klang Valley. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klang_(city) A free and guided walk tour, the Royal Klang Town Heritage Walk (RKTHW) https://selangor.travel/royal-klang-town-heritage-walk/
– Sultan Abdul Aziz Royal Gallery
– The former Chartered Bank (now known as Chennai Silk Sarees)
– Royal Klang Club
– Alam Shah Palace
– Church of Our Lady Lourdes
– Klang Convent School
– Tengku Kelana Street (Little India)
– Indian Muslim Mosque Tengku Kelana
– Sri Nagara Thandayuthapani Temple
– Klang Fire Station
– Gedung Raja Abdullah (warehouse) By the KTM station is the historical-well known Chong Kok Kopitiam (founded in 1940) – I had the Roti Goyang and very good cham (kopi+tea) https://www.nst.com.my/lifestyle/sunday-vibes/2020/01/553519/timeless-charm-chong-kok-kopitiam-klang Sultan Abdul Aziz Royal Gallery was the brainchild of the Eleventh Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia, the late Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah. Initially it was called ‘Muzium Kenangan’ (Memorial Museum) and was built in 1988 at Jalan Kota, Kampung Jawa in Klang. After H.R.H. Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah ascended the throne in 2001 as the Ninth Sultan of Selangor, he instructed that Sultan Suleiman Building which was built in 1909, be turned into the new Royal Gallery.
http://www.galeridiraja.com/Page_2.html The 1909 classic colonial building housing GALERI DIRAJA SULTAN ABDUL AZIZ has a long history. The British occupied it during the colonial period as the land and administration office, the Japanese during World War II as its war headquarters and later by several local authorities until its recent restoration into GALERI DIRAJA SULTAN ABDUL AZIZ. The Sultan of Selangor’s newer royal palace can be viewed at Jalan Istana. However, visitors are not allowed into the grounds. Klang’s Little India is known for being the largest one in Malaysia, and it is full of shops which sell traditional South Indian food and clothing. Tamil songs can often be heard coming from the shops. Raja Mahadi Fort was actually an arch of the fort. The position of Fort Raja Mahadi was very strategic. This Fort was built on a hill not far from the river. All ships and boats that sailed through to Pangkalan Batu and Gudang Raja Abdullah were easily intercepted. https://mmucyberjaya.tripod.com/raja_mahadi_fort.htm Kota Bridge, Klang or Jambatan Kota, Klang is the first double-decked bridge in Malaysia. A bridge, the Belfield Bridge, originally served the town of Klang, but was bombed during the Japanese invasion in the Second World War. After the war, three bridges were used temporarily to cross the river as the Belfield Bridge could not be repaired. In 1951, Crown Agents were sent from London to study the feasibility of constructing a new permanent bridge over the Klang River, from which the idea of a double-decked bridge emerged. The bridge was constructed between 1958 and 1960 and it was a reinforced steel truss girder bridge. It was constructed by Dorman Long Engineering Limited, the company that was also responsible for building the Sydney Harbour Bridge in 1932, with piling works by Gammon Messrs (Malaya) Ltd. Its cost was estimated to be £820,000 in 1956. The bridge had a total length of 1,438 feet (438 m) including approaches with a central span of 282 feet (86 m). The bridge was first launched in 1959 by the late Sultan of Selangor, Sultan Hisamuddin Alam Shah. It was originally intended to be named Alam Shah Bridge after the sultan, but Sultan Hisamuddin decided two weeks before opening that it should be called Kota Bridge (“kota” means “city”) after the Bukit Kota Palace. The bridge was completed in 1960 and officially opened in 1961 by Almarhum Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah in conjunction with his coronation as the ninth Sultan of Selangor. In the 1990s, due to the high capacity traffic with the upgrading of the Federal Highway Route (Klang – Kuala Lumpur) into six lane carriageway toll highway from 1991 to 1993. The double-decked bridge was closed to traffic and the new concrete bridge with six lane carriageway was built beside the original double-decked bridge. The north end of the Kota Bridge was removed to allow the new bridge to be built, but about 300m of the bridge remained. The Klang Royal Town Mosque (Malay: Masjid Bandar Diraja Klang) is a mosque in Klang, Selangor, Malaysia. The mosque is located at Jalan Pasar on the banks of the Klang River giving the image of a floating mosque. The mosque was built on the site of a smaller mosque known as “Masjid Klang Utara (Northern Klang Mosque). In 2003, the new mosque was started to be constructed due to bigger crowd faced by nearby mosques, Masjid India and Sultan Sulaiman Mosque. The current mosque was completed in 2009 and was officially opened by Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah on 11 December 2009 in conjunction with his birthday celebration.

Leave A Reply